Wednesday, May 19, 2010

April 29th: Seattle-bound


24 hour delay? No big deal. I just drove up to Seattle the next evening instead to catch my Icelandair vessel to Reykjavik. The customer service agent I spoke to about postponing my connecting flight to the next day was super efficient too. Moments after I hung up the phone, the new itinerary chirped it's arrival in my inbox.

After some last minute errands, I was zipping up my suitcases when my roommate Katie popped in and inquired about my activity:
"You leaving today?"
"Yep. I'm driving to Seattle in about 20 minutes"
"Cool! I'll come with you."
"Uh...will you be ready to go in 20 minutes?"
"Sure!"
"...okay...nice!"

It actually was really nice to have a driving buddy. We got Burgerville and ate in the car like real Americans (I managed to drip ketchup all over a shirt I'd bought for Matthias, I guess also in keeping with being a real American...), we sang along to the Glee Madonna episode CD Katie happened to have in her purse, we crawled through a night construction zone which had crippled I-5 to one lane. The Blazers lost and were eliminated from the playoffs as we stopped and started through several miles of highway. We finally arrived around 11:30 pm. Katie's friend picked her up moments afterward and I proceeded to drink Coors Light with my Aunt & Manpanion. We managed to wrap the night up by 4 am when I tucked into the hide-a-bed and hoped Eyjafjallajökull would not belch out yet another cloud of airplane hindering ash before things got underway the following afternoon...

photo by Curtis Gregory Perry

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails