Friday, May 21, 2010

May 1st part I: We're on Euro time now.


As we popped through the clouds on our descent toward Iceland, my stomach lurched. I had dreamt about Iceland several times in the months prior. I've never been before. AND IT LOOKED EXACTLY LIKE IT DID IN MY DREAMS. Moody, navy sea, reddish lava dirt, desolate. Landing at Keflavik was like rolling up the driveway to someone's well-designed summer home in the middle of nowhere. It was just a big house. With some tarmac for a couple planes. No big deal. I saw the volcano smoking out the window, but the picture from the return trip is far more impressive...

I wandered the wooden walkways and peered out the porthole windows at Iceland. I texted my brother. I boarded my ride to A-Dam, counting down the last three hours until go time.

On my final flight, I planned to use the restroom/freshen up and all of that before the seatbelt sign popped back on. I hadn't slept much on the 7.5 hour journey to Iceland (out of the ordinary, since I generally pass out on planes from takeoff to landing). I'm chalking it up to excitement and breathtaking view of Greenland through the clouds. Anyway, I read the entire euro Newsweek, stared out the window, drank my refreshment and then PASSED OUT COLD. I woke up to "DING! Please secure your tray tables and return your seats to the upright position for landing!" Come on. Wiping the drool from my chin and yanking the headphones out of my ears I scurried back to the toilet and managed to splash my face and swipe on some lipstick. Moments later we landed with a THUD that made our heads bobble and the sleepy Asian guy next to me giggle with fright/nervous surprise. The Netherlands. Holy crap, I am actually here.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails